The beautiful stained-glass windows, of the American School of Alescent glass, were created by Haskins and Collyer Company of Rochester, NY. Money was raised by popular subscription and many were dedicated to people or groups in the church.
The largest window, which faces Utica Street, is the “Good Shepherd” window, which was given by the congregation in memory of John B. Edwards, who served Trinity from 1848 until his death in 1895. He was a Trustee and Sunday School Superintendent, and was a liberal donor to all charitable causes. He was an Abolitionist serving as the local agent for nationally known Abolitionist Gerrit Smith, who had business holdings in Oswego. Mr. Edwards was very involved in community and business affairs, including overseeing the construction of the Oswego Hydraulic Canal.
Other large windows include:
- “Jesus, Mary and Martha at Bethany”, given by the Ladies Aid Society.
- “Christ and the Woman at the Well”, given by Mr. & Mrs. W.G. Chaffee.
- “Grapes”, given by the Ladies Bible Class.
- “Consider the Lilies”, given by Mr. & Mrs. Bonsteel.
- “Christ Blessing the Little Children”, given by the Sunday School.
The smaller windows on the main level of the church carry other dedications, including:
- Miss Blossom’s Boys
- In memory of James H. Demark
- Class No.3, Mrs. H.L. Bonsteel, teacher
- Mrs. Elizabeth Hee
- Mrs. L.B. Richards’ S.S. Class
- Mrs. Fannie Franklin
- Mrs. Robert Patterson
- In memory of Walter A. Penney 1894-1900 by R.A. Penfield
Trinity has a rich history of music. The first organ, built by Frank Beman in Binghamton, NY, was installed in the year 1908 and dedicated to the memory of Thomas Henderson. A special concert was presented by Dr. Charles M. Courboin, organist at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Oswego. A new organ was installed in 1934, and again a concert was played by Dr. Courboin. The Cathedral Chimes were added in memory of F. Inez Baldwin. This organ was rebuilt and dedicated in 1958 with a concert by William Jones.
A final re-build in 1976 gave us our present organ, a 20-rank pipe organ with 1,220 pipes. William Jones and Marcia McRae Wentworth were guest organists at the opening concert on Oct 24th.
There has always been an active adult choir at Trinity under the direction of able music directors and organists. For many years choir members caroled at nursing homes and the surrounding neighborhood at Christmas. Many youth choirs sang during services, and youth & adults formed orchestras & other musical groups.